News Editing Process and Career Opportunities as a News Editor
Admissions Open for PGDMCJ 2021
A newspaper or magazines you read, go through various processes and stages and one of them is news editing. One of the most important processes in news media is the news editing process. Regardless of the type or channel of media, which can be one of the following, news editing will be needed:
What is News Editing?
- When reporters or different sources send the news to the editor, it is more likely to be written in a hurry or in a scattered way, which is called copy.
- The role of a news editor according to a leading mass communication and journalism college in Ahmedabad is to make interesting news out of a copy.
- The news editing process means editing a news copy to reveal important facts and news without any errors and missing links.
What is Part of News Editing?
There are multiple things included in the news editing process. Each of them is briefly explained hereunder:
- Selection: A news agency or media house receives several pieces of news during a day to be part of the news bulletin or newspaper. The news editor needs to select the news, which can be the most prominent or interesting ones.
- Preparing: This stage of news editing includes defining various aspects related to the news such as:
- How much space in the newspaper the news will get or in which news bulletin the news will be covered and how much time will it get?
- On which page will it be published?
- What are the facts that have to be conveyed to disseminate information about the news to the target audiences?
- And more
- Writing: Based on the preparation, if needed the news editors have to rewrite the whole news again. According to the best mass communication and journalism college in Ahmedabad, the news editors can transform simple news into a sensational one with the flow of writing and the art of highlighting the facts.
- Proof reading: The news copies and editorial news need proofreading before reaching the final stage of publishing. This step of the news editing process includes checking and correcting:
- Grammatical errors
- Syntax of sentences
- Figures and facts
- Sense of sentence
- And more
- Publishing: The role of a news editor is quite important in any type of media. The chief editor decides that finally, which news will be published or broadcast out of all submitted ones.
In any media house or news agency, there will be multiple news editors holding different job title and designations such as:
- Desk operator
- Chief editor
Each of these positions may also have senior and junior roles.
If you become a news editor, then you will get a plethora of job opportunities. To start your career as a news editor, you need to join a mass communication and journalism course. NIMCJ is a leading mass communication and journalism college in Ahmedabad. Contact NIMCJ to know more about news editor career and course.
10 Mar 2021
Post by : NIMCJ